All zone results are in and those guaranteed to participate in the 2015 Provincial Championship have now been published. If you are planning on participating in the event, please ensure that you review all of the pertinent information, the tournament poster and eligible lists.
A total of 64 women are accepted into the provincial championship. This includes the 6 players that are eligible to accept their invitation directly to the provincials.
With only 39 zone participants, all are eligible. The women’s list, in alphabetical order, includes the seeding for Day 1 of the event.
The 2014 Men’s Zone Playoffs had a total of 86 participants. A total of 80 men are accepted into the provincial championship. This includes the 8 players that are eligible to accept their invitation directly to the provincials.
For the remaining 72 spots, the following is a breakdown of the allotment of participants eligible to enter from each zone:
- Zone 1 – Medicine Hat area – 2 zone participants
- Zone 1a – Lethbridge area – 6 zone participants
- Zone 2 – Cochrane area – 3 zone participants
- Zone 3 – Calgary – 26 zone participants
- Zone 4 – Red Deer area – 4 zone participants
- Zone 5 (inactive)
- Zone 6 – Edmonton – 26 zone participants
- Zone 7 (no zones held this year)
- Zone 8 – Grande Prairie area – 5 zone participants
The men’s list of eligible participants (in alphabetical order) shows those guaranteed a spot in the 2015 Provincials. For those listed as PENDING, eligibility is dependent on the number of guaranteed players that show up to participate. It is important to note that some players compete in the Zone playoffs and although they may have a guaranteed spot, they often choose not to travel to the provincials. This opens up additional spots for zone participants listed as pending and any individuals wishing to buy into the event that didn’t compete in zones.
If more than 80 men show up to register, the following order is used to determine eligibility:
- All those players listed as guaranteed, then
- Any pending zone participants, based on the maximum allotment per zone as listed above. If additional spots are still available, these will be filled with from other zone participants based on a formula that includes seeding points and current Darts Alberta ranking, and finally,
- Any individuals that wish to buy into the event that didn’t complete in zone playoffs provided space is available.
Anyone planning on participating in the 2015 Provincial Championships should be aware of the following key points:
- The 2015 National Championships are being held in St. Catherines Ontario. If you make the team, you will be required to be in attendance from Sunday, June 14 through Friday, June 19. There are optional ranked tournaments the weekend prior and the weekend after.
- Only the top 8 men and top 8 women will advance to form Team Alberta.
- As a member of Team Alberta and this being a casino year, the Team Qualifier / Commitment Fee will be $400.00 per person with the opportunity to earn $200.00 back in they work the next casino at the end of June 2015. This will entitle each team member with transportation, shared accommodations, a team shirt, banquet ticket and their entry fee into the nationals – all paid by Darts Alberta.
The format of play, for both the men's and women's events, is a round robin advancing to a double knockout:
- Under 32 players – 8 sections of up to a maximum of 4 players with all players advancing to a 32-draw
- 33 to 40 players – 8 sections of up to a maximum of 5 players with the top 4 advancing to a 32-draw
- 41 to 48 players – 8 sections of up to a maximum of 6 players with all players advancing to a 64-draw
- 49 to 64 players – 16 sections of up to a maximum of 4 players with all players advancing to a 64-draw
- 65 to 80 players (men) – 16 sections of up to a maximum of 5 players with the top 4 advancing to a 64-draw
All details regarding the 2015 Provincial Championships are contained on the poster. Should you have any questions, please contact the DA Administrator (email@example.com) or the DA Tournament Director (firstname.lastname@example.org).